Los Angeles Robbery Lawyer
Defending Clients Accused of Robbery in Los Angeles County
If you or a loved one is facing robbery charges in Los Angeles, you need the expertise and commitment of Shevin Law Group. Our team of dedicated attorneys specializes in criminal defense, and we are here to provide the advice, support, and representation you need during this challenging time.
Call Shevin Law Group today at (818) 918-5838 or contact us online to schedule a meeting with our robbery defense attorney in Los Angeles!
What is Robbery?
Robbery is a crime in which an individual uses force, fear, or intimidation to take property or belongings from another person against their will. This offense is distinguished from theft or burglary by confrontation or threat.
To be charged with robbery in California, the prosecution must prove the following elements:
- Taking of Property: The accused must have taken someone else's property.
- Personal Property: The property must belong to another individual, not a business or entity.
- Presence of the Victim: The victim must be present during the act of taking.
- Use of Force or Fear: The defendant must have used force, fear, or intimidation to take the property.
- Intent to Permanently Deprive: The defendant must have intended to permanently deprive the victim of their property.
It's important to note that California law distinguishes between first-degree robbery, which occurs in certain specified circumstances, and second-degree robbery, which encompasses all other situations that meet the abovementioned elements. First-degree robbery typically involves specific aggravating factors, such as firearm use, and carries harsher penalties.
What are the Penalties for Robbery in California?
Robbery convictions in California can result in severe penalties that may have a long-lasting impact on your life. Various factors influence the penalties for robbery. The potential consequences for a robbery conviction may include:
- Prison Time: Robbery convictions can lead to lengthy prison sentences, especially for first-degree robbery or cases involving aggravating factors. These sentences can range from several years to life in prison.
- Fines: A robbery conviction may also result in substantial fines, which can add financial burdens to the legal consequences you're already facing.
- Criminal Record: A robbery conviction will leave you with a permanent criminal record, impacting your future employment, housing, and other opportunities.
- Restitution: If the victim suffered any financial losses due to the robbery, you may be required to pay restitution as part of your sentence.
- Probation or Parole: In some cases, the court may order probation or parole as part of the sentencing. These terms come with their own set of conditions and requirements.
- Enhanced Penalties: Using firearms or other deadly weapons during a robbery can increase penalties, including longer prison sentences.
Defenses Against Robbery Charges
Facing a robbery charge can be daunting, but it's essential to remember that potential defenses are available to challenge these charges. Your Los Angeles robbery lawyer at Shevin Law Group will work tirelessly to build a strong defense tailored to your specific case. Some common defenses against robbery charges include:
- Lack of Force or Fear: If the prosecution cannot prove that force or fear was used during the alleged robbery, it could result in a dismissal of charges.
- Mistaken Identity: A common defense in robbery cases is mistaken identity. We may argue that the victim misidentified the accused as the perpetrator.
- Consent: If the property was taken with the victim's consent, it may not meet the elements of robbery.
- Alibi: Demonstrating that you were not present at the crime scene during the alleged robbery can be a compelling defense.
- Duress: If you committed the robbery due to a genuine fear for your safety or the safety of a loved one, this may be a valid defense.
- Insufficient Evidence: If the prosecution lacks evidence to prove the elements of the crime beyond a reasonable doubt, this can lead to a dismissal or acquittal.
Shevin Law Group has a successful track record of defending clients facing robbery charges in Los Angeles, and we are prepared to explore all possible defenses to protect your rights and future.
Contact Our Los Angeles Robbery Attorney Today
Robbery charges in California can lead to life-altering consequences, but you don't have to face them alone. The legal team at Shevin Law Group is here to guide you through this challenging time, providing you with a relentless defense and unwavering support.
If you or a loved one is facing robbery charges in Los Angeles, don't hesitate to contact us. Our experienced Los Angeles robbery lawyers are committed to delivering the best possible outcome for your case.
Contact Shevin Law Group today to schedule a consultation with our robbery defense lawyer in Los Angeles!
“He cares about his clients, takes care of business, and always gets the best results.” - Steve N.
“The amount of experience, knowledge, and expertise in the criminal and cannabis field is incredible” - Harry A.
“He has always done a good job and gone the extra mile for me.” - Matt C