For over 25 years, Mr. Shevin's legal practice has focused exclusively in the area of criminal defense and cannabis law, defending clients in State and Federal courts across the nation. Mr. Shevin has won significant victories for his clients in California, Arizona, Hawaii, Louisiana, Missouri, Nevada, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas, Washington, Arkansas, Oklahoma and Wisconsin.
Mr. Shevin also provides counsel to lawful cannabis cultivators, processors, distributors, dispensary and delivery outlets on issues involving legal structure, business formation, tax reporting and compliant business operations. Mr. Shevin's client list includes cannabis industry leaders in all aspects of the cannabis industry. Mr. Shevin also assists clients with brand development, trademark and marketing solutions.
Through his extensive experience, Mr. Shevin possesses advanced knowledge of the laws pertaining to the cannabis regulatory landscape and providing guidance to business groups in the emerging cannabis industry. Throughout his career, Mr. Shevin has been an advocate for sensible marijuana regulations and has taught courses in cannabis law and policy to Judges and Lawyers throughout the country.
Mr. Shevin has been featured and/or quoted in the following media outlets: Los Angeles Times, Los Angeles Daily Journal, ABC News, CBS News, MSNBC, Fox News, the Newshour with Jim Lehrer, Huffington Post, National Public Radio, Hartford Courant, Orange County Register, Orange County Weekly, LA Weekly, The 420 Times, West Coast Leaf, Marijuana Anti Prohibition Project, Press Enterprise, Metropolitan News Enterprise, Hemp Evolution, The Compassion Club, Cannabis News, The Medical Marijuana Magazine, The Marijuana News, and was featured in the High Times Freedom Fighter of the Month article in 1995. Mr. Shevin is listed with the Top 100 National Trial Attorneys, and is a recognized "Superlawyer" in California since 2004, representing the Top 5% of all attorneys. Mr. Shevin is a lifetime member of the NORML Legal Committee, dedicated to the reform of marijuana laws. Mr. Shevin was awarded the Defender of Justice Award by California's advocacy group, Americans for Safe Access. Mr. Shevin is admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court.
Current Employment Position
- Founder / Attorney At Law
- California, 1992
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California, 1992
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 1993
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2002
Classes & Seminars
- Medical Marijuana Seminar, Los Angeles County Judiciary
- Marijuana Laws and Policies, NACDL Advanced Criminal Law Seminar
- Medical Marijuana Legal Seminar, National Business Institute
- Cannabis Legal landscape, The Seminar Group
- Changing Marijuana Legal Landscape, SFV Bar Association
- University of San Diego School of Law, San Diego, California
- J.D. - 1992
- San Diego State University, San Diego, California
- B.S. - 1989
- Major: Business Administration and Finance
- Criminal Defense
- Cannabis Law
- Southern California Super Lawyer, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers nationally, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- America’s Top 100 Criminal Defense Attorneys, 2017
- Defender of Justice Award, Americans for Safe Access
- California Attorneys for Criminal Justice
- Criminal Courts Bar Association, Sustaining Member
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- NORML Legal Committee, Lifetime Member